Fort Belvoir, VIRGINIA
Under direct supervision, assists in the installation, maintenance, and usage of the organization’s LAN, WAN, and CAN. Assists in the establishment of network procedures regarding access methods and time, security validation checks, and documentation. Maintains network software and hardware inventories and rack elevations. Researches software and hardware issues regarding the network. Inform users when there are network problems. Monitors and maintains continuity with software licensing and maintenance agreements. Troubleshoots network problems. Assists in monitoring and responding to technical control facility hardware and software problems utilizing hardware and software testing tools and techniques. May provide network server support. May assist with installation of terminals and associated hardware. Requires knowledge of data scopes, patch panels, modems, concentrators, and associated terminals and network management software.
SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS
The Network Engineer possesses knowledge of, and skill in applying:
Network standards, protocols, and procedures. Capabilities and applications of network equipment including hubs, routers, switches, bridges, servers, transmission media, and related hardware the organization’s network architecture and infrastructure local area and wide area networking principles and concepts including bandwidth management
Network systems design, development, testing, installation, operations, management, and maintenance concepts and methods the organization’s network architecture, topology, and protocols. Assist in the development, configuration, installation, and maintenance of networked systems including local area networks (LANs) and wide area networks (WANs). Perform routine network configuration management functions
Provide network services that support business requirements. Plan, design, develop, and integrate network systems consistent with existing or planned network infrastructures
- DoD Experience – DISA Experience Preferred
- Experience with one or more vender applications: CiscoWorks, Brocade Network Advisor, CA Spectrum, Infoblox, ForeScout CounterAct, Wireshark
- Experience with one or more technologies: MPLS/VPLS, VLAN’s, DHCP, VRRP, HSRP, BGP, OSPF, EIGRP, NAT/PAT, QOS, NAC, Spanning Tree, VPN, Commercial Circuits (T1’s, DS3’s OC3’s, TLS), Etherchannel, Access-lists, WCCP Filters, Policy Routing, TFTP/SFTP
- Experience with one or more vender equipment: CISCO/Brocade Routers and Switches, Cisco Sonet, Avaya, Cisco Wireless (WiSM, WCS, AP’s), General Dynamic Taclanes, CISCO ACE hardware for load balancing, CISCO ASA/PIX Firewalls/FWSM, Cisco NAM
- Extensive Network troubleshooting,
- Attention to Detail – Demonstrates thoroughness and contentious attention to detail.
- Customer Service – Works with clients and customers to assess their requirements, provide information or assistance, explains the scope of available products and services; is committed to quality deliverables.
- Oral Communication – Expresses information effectively, listens to others, attends to nonverbal cues, and responds professionally.
- Problem Solving – Identifies problems; determines accuracy and relevance of information; uses sound judgment to generate and evaluate alternatives, and to make recommendations and resolve issues.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- High-school diploma or educational equivalent required; diploma from a technical or vocational school or have acquired equivalent military/DoD training. Bachelors Degree in Computer Science, Information Assurance, Information Systems, or other related scientific or technical discipline is preferred. Work experience or industry certifications demonstrating technical proficiency may be substituted for education requirements.
- Three (3) to Five (5) years of technical support experience with IT Network operations, implementation, troubleshooting, and maintenance support as well as supervisory skills in Network operations, management, and personnel.
Candidate must possess the following certifications in order to meet the DoD Information Assurance Technical (IAT) Level II Information Assurance (IA) Requirement:
Applicant must have and maintain at least one of the following Information Assurance (IA) certifications prior to beginning employment:
CompTIA, Security+ ce (Desired)
CISCO, Cisco Certified Network Associate Security (CCNA-Security)
GIAC, Security Essentials Certification: (GSEC)
ISC2, System Security Certified Practitioner (SSCP)
Higher certifications that meet IAT III requirements are also acceptable. (Must be approved and verified by management.)
Applicant must also have at least one of the following Computing Environment (CE) certifications within 180 days from his/her start date:
CISCO: Cisco Certified Network Associate (CCNP) (Desired)
BROCADE: Brocade Certified Network Professional (BCNP)
- Manual dexterity 80% to 100% of the time
- Lifting up to 25 pounds 15% of the time
- Carrying up to 25 pounds 15% of the time
- Reaching 25% of the time
- Standing 25% of the time
- Sitting 50% of the time
- Walking 25% of the time
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit and talk or hear. The employee is required to walk; use hands to finger, handle or feel objects, tools or controls; and reach with hands and arms.
- Incumbent must be available on an on-call basis to provide immediate assistance in the event of an on-line system failure or other demands as required.
- Some heavy lifting may be required.
- Work is performed in an office setting, computer operations, telecommunications center, telephone closets, electrical distribution centers, panels, and hallways.